Monday, September 28, 2015

CST 300 Week 5

Week 5

This week we covered a bit about making and editing videos for YouTube. This appears to be leading into a presentation that we will have to do soon via video, which is making me pretty nervous. Every time I have to make a video for something, I end up worrying about it way too much and stressing out. Granted, I don't like in person presentations either. We've also been looking over internship and graduate degree information. Personally, I won't get an internship in the field because I'm already working in the field. However, I can vouch that an internship is a great idea. We have three interns at my work right now and I have watched several of the interns become full time employees since I've been at the company. I am currently planning on looking into graduate programs in the future, but right now this degree is definitely my focus. When we graduate, it will have taken me 10 years to get my bachelor's degree. So, baby steps for me! We've also been starting the prep work for our new essays. I'm doing mine on 3D printing and intellectual property. So far, I've found some great stories and articles on the topic and have been getting very excited about it. Unfortunately, I've been very busy this week and am behind (which I hate). Hoping to catch back up next week! 

Support and Comment on Teammates' Goals

Again, I'm reviewing my only two teammates on their educational and career goals:

John's post describes his goals as being largely directed at providing his children with a good education and retiring early. John and I have pretty different goals, but I can relate to retiring early (I've been doing the best I can to save money for that). All of his goals appear to lead up to that and I think that's enough to motivate him to accomplish them. Perhaps he could look at some of the applications for Genentech (or a similar company) and incorporate some of their requirements into his goal planning. Or, he could focus on setting a more specific timeline for his goals (outside of the CSUMB program).

In Ashley's post regarding educational and career goals, she explains how she has goals, but doesn't want to be let down by them. I understand that because I have also been let down by my own goals (which is how I ended up in this program). Instead of making long term goals, she would benefit from short term "bursts" of goals to help lift her goal setting spirits. Goals that take too long to accomplish can be easy to get away from. Building up the momentum this way might make goal setting a much more fun task.

Possible Capstone Ideas

Here are a few potential ideas for my capstone project:
  1. A karaoke application using the Chromecast and a cell phone as a mic. 
  2. A virtual recipe box where you can scale your recipe to fit the number of servings and create shopping lists.
  3. A natural disaster preparedness applications that picks up your location and give you recommendations for emergency preparedness kits and guides. So, if you live in a tsunami zone or earthquake zone, the recommended items would be specific to what you would need. It would also provide a printable document that describes where to go or what to do in those situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment