Tuesday, February 21, 2017

CST 370 Week 8

Week 8

Phew! What a course! As we wrap up the final week, I'm very glad we've completed the course and are on to the next one (CST 373 Ethics in Communication and Technology). I've been looking forward to our next course for a while now because I really enjoyed the quick look into ethics in our first Proseminar course. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

As for this current course, we covered graphs this week. I'm sure we just covered the tip of the iceberg since we have a shorter week with only one homework assignment. The content covered in-order, pre-order, and post-order tree traversals, edge lists, adjacency matrices, and Dijkstra's algorithm. Throughout the course we've been watching videos from My Code School and they've been very helpful. I liked the emphasis this week regarding the trade offs between using an edge list and a adjacency matrix for storing a graphs. It's good to consider that an adjacency matrix will take up a lot more space and an edge list has a large lookup time. Those are very valid things to consider when working on larger systems.

The final has not yet been released as of writing this. I wanted to get all of my course work done before the final release so I don't miss anything. I expect to do well, especially since it's a programming assignment but you never really know...

Overall, I've really enjoyed this course and have loved how organized it is. There were no surprises and the course maintained consistency. The modules seemed pretty evenly weighted but I think stacks and queues could be combined. I was already familiar with the topics so I didn't not end up seeking out much help, but the professor and TA both seemed very available and encouraged us to contact them when we needed help.

No comments:

Post a Comment